FACTORS AFFECTING WOMEN’S CHOICE OF BUSINESS ACTIVITY
This article briefly examines factors affecting women's choice of business activity as well as implications of those choices.
1. Reproductive role
· They choose activities that make it easy to combine work with their household responsibilities
· They choose activities that complement household needs
2. Limited knowledge/skills
· They choose activities which utilize the skills they have mastered as part of their socialization process, such as food processing, food vending and personal care
3. Limited initial capital
4. Limited access to credit for working capital
· They choose activities for which they can easily get credit from suppliers (e.g. shops will provide food items on credit to food vendors) or where customers pay in advance (such as tailoring)
5. Limited capacity to absorb consequences of failure
· They choose activities for which there is a ready, tested and large market.