DIGITAL ADVERTISING IN TANZANIA - THE LANDSCAPE & CHANNELS
It won’t hurt to repeat the question, why advertise online? Reach, flexibility, cost-effectiveness, quantifiable and measurable results and more.
The landscape in Tanzania
At least 9.3 million internet users! This is as of early 2014 according to the TCRA.
· This roughly equates to about ~20.7% of the population – this rapid growth is expected to continue
· Almost 80% of the internet access in Tanzania is from mobile phones and tablets (TCRA)
· The estimated number of Facebook users in Tanzania ranges between 2-2.5 million people
o About 350,000 people are active daily
o Facebook is often synonymous with the internet in Tanzania
o Companies or businesses with the largest number of fans on Facebook are usually perceived as market leaders in their fields of operation
o Most businesses use Facebook to drive traffic back to their websites and collect leads in the process
· Twitter is by far the slowest growing social platform in Tanzania
o The number of monthly active users is estimated at over 130,000
o Still a growing platform with relatively expensive advertising compared to other platforms or channels
· Instagram is more popular than Twitter; however, no publicly available stats exist to support its perceived trendiness. Evidence of the use of Instagram for business purposes is plenty even though official advertising opportunities from the platform itself are limited. Like Instagram, Pinterest is also growing in stature albeit more slowly.
Primary channels available for digital advertising in Tanzania
1. Google AdWords – The Google network has massive volume and reach. With AdWords businesses can show ads on the most popular websites in Tanzania as well as internationally. Most companies use AdWords for content and keyword targeted ads to drive traffic to customer converting landing pages and/or lead collection webpages.
2. Facebook – Precise interests and demographics targeting is the highlight of advertising on Facebook as well as the fact that most brand users are already on Facebook. With Facebook ads, the objectives can be driving traffic, ecommerce, growing fan base, driving app downloads, installs and usage, video views, event attendance and more.
3. Direct sponsorships on local websites, blogs and apps – this is by far the most popular way digital is being sold in Tanzania. In some cases, advertisers can be plagued by the expensiveness, inefficiency, low ROI and poor analytics. Depending on the arrangement between an advertiser and a publisher, advertising objectives, the technology available to serve ads, report and measure results, sponsorships can be an effective way to advertise online. This is especially true when the objective is branding or when the value add such as positive affiliation and off-digital promotion is significant.
Whether you want to generate awareness for your brand, products / services, create demand, increase sales, collect leads, online advertising should be part of your media budget and plan. Advertisers simply cannot afford to miss out on the potential opportunities. Most Tanzanians online have meaningfully higher than average education levels, income levels and the propensity to find brands online and be persuaded in one way or another to become customers for those brands.